As a leading Atlanta moving company, we know firsthand how stressful and exhausting relocating can be. Whether you’re moving alone, as a couple or with a family and a houseful of items and furniture, hyperventilating at the sheer enormity of the task is understandable. However, it is possible to survive a major move without surrendering one’s hold on sanity.
As soon as you have a destination, begin your countdown and follow the checklist below. The more prepared you are, the better able you will be to handle any unforeseen situation that arises during your big move.
Two Months Before Your Move
- – Start screening moving companies or moving truck rentals. Be sure to get quotes that include the same items and services so you don’t end up comparing apples to oranges.
- – Gather insurance, medical, dental, school and veterinary records. Send them ahead to the respective professionals if you have already found new ones in your new location. Otherwise, keep all important papers in a sturdy, clearly marked container that you can lock.
- – Start an inventory of your household and personal items. Hold a yard sale then give or donate unsold items.
One Month Before
- – Decide on a moving company or reserve your truck.
- – File a change of address form. Arrange to have your utilities and other services (pool, lawn, etc.) turned off.
- – Inform your bank of your move.
- – Dispose of all hazardous materials you cannot take on the move, such as paints, solvents and other flammable objects.
- – If you’re driving to your new home, have your vehicle fully serviced for a safe and comfortable trip.
- – Start packing.
One Week Before
- – Give or donate non-perishable food items and start emptying your refrigerator.
- – Pre-pack the suitcases you will be taking with you.
- – Make sure medicines, emergency numbers, pet food and vital transition objects are clean and ready.
- – Find homes for items you will not be taking with you, such as plants.
- – Supervise the movers or mobilize your army of friends and relatives. Have cash on hand to tip the movers or treat your friendly helpers to dinner at the end of the day.
- – Drive off to your new life!
Expect snags, delays and a misplaced item here and there on your moving day. Knowing that something will inevitably go wrong will help you shrug the incident off as just part of the process.
There are several local Atlanta movers that you can choose from. Call us if you want reliable and experienced residential and commercial movers in Atlanta. We can also help you with data storage as well as professional records management in Atlanta.